May 20, 2015 – Canadian Medical Assistance Teams’ second team of medical volunteers recently arrived to begin their rotation in Baluwa, Nepal, relieving outgoing team 1 members returning to Canada.
CMAT has been working in the earthquake-affected region for just over 3 weeks now. Monsoon season is rapidly arriving, and the team is seeing more and more rain throughout the day. These rains affect not only the work the team is doing, but also accessibility to the remote region. Volunteers continue to trek up steep hillsides to villages, in order to follow up on patients needing medical care.
CMAT’s Team 2 members include:
- Dr. Mark Hyslop (ret.), Team Leader from Kamloops, BC
- Francois Auclair, Paramedic from Montreal, QC
- Dr. Tonia Timperley-Berg, MD from Vancouver, BC
- Dr. Hubert Chao, MD from Vancouver, BC
- Jeanette Droogendyk, RN from Hamilton, ON
- Margaret Hyslop, Mental Health from Kamloops, BC
- Narinder Johal, RN from Delta, BC
- Jennifer MacDonnell, RN from Courtenay, BC
- Deborah Mossington, RN from Langley, BC
- Jan Neuspiel, Logistics from Cumberland, BC
- Mikiko Otsuki, RN from Surrey, BC
- Brian Taylor, Paramedic from Stoney Plain, AB